Keto Turkey Sliders in Collard Wraps
PREP: 15 minutes
COOK: 10 minutes
Turkey burgers are a family staple in my house for summer evenings. Using collard greens as a wrap solves the age-old question—to bun or not to bun. Adding veggies and capers is a nod to the Mediterranean diet and boosts the flavor.
No need to add salt, as capers are briny enough to carry the flavor. Top with Creamy Lemon Dill Slaw, if desired.
MAKES 8 SERVINGS.
Extra virgin olive oil, for greasing pan or grill and brushing collard greens
Collard greens, ribs removed
2 pounds ground dark turkey or other ground meat
1 cup shredded zucchini or yellow squash
1 shallot, finely minced (about 2 tablespoons)
1 tablespoon capers, drained and chopped
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1. Lightly oil a grill pan or grill grate.
2. Lightly brush collard greens with olive oil. Roll them up and cover them with a damp towel until you’re ready to eat. (This step softens the leaves and makes them easy to wrap around your burger.)
3. Place turkey in a large bowl. Add shredded zucchini, minced shallot, capers, mustard, thyme, sage and pepper. Wet your hands to keep meat from sticking to them. Then handling meat as little as possible, form mixture into 8 equal patties. (Less handling yields juicier burgers.)
4. Grill burgers on a hot grill pan or grill outside about 4 to 5 minutes per side or until done.
5. Remove from heat and top with Creamy Lemon Dill Slaw, if desired. Wrap in collard leaves and serve.
Each serving contains 205 calories, 10g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 90mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 1g sugars, 22g protein, 2Est GL.
Contributing chef Sueson Vess is a food coach, cooking instructor and author of Special Eats.